Line of credit loan - mortgage

John Layman john.layman at laymanandlayman.com
Tue May 18 11:11:44 EDT 2010

I have our home equity line of credit as a sub-account under
Liabilities/Loans/Other Loans.  The actual equity asset, however, is found
under Assets/Fixed Assets/House.  I make no effort to represent the
potential market value of the house in the asset account.  Instead,
beginning with the original purchase price, the expense of major renovations
transfers into (debits) the asset account.  My purpose, beyond approximating
what the house means to our net worth, is to have a clear understanding of
what we would have to realize from the sale of the house to break even.  Of
course, any mortgage liability (including the equity line of credit) serves
as an offset against the asset in our overall financial picture.