Controlling description field expansion

Thomas Bullock tbullock at nd.edu
Tue May 18 13:46:13 EDT 2010

Terrific!  Thanks, Derek!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Derek Atkins [mailto:warlord at MIT.EDU]
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 1:37 PM
To: Thomas Bullock
Cc: gnucash-user at gnucash.org
Subject: Re: Controlling description field expansion

Hi,

Thomas Bullock <tbullock at nd.edu> writes:

> I am still experimenting and learning GC.  I run 2.2.9 on Ubuntu 9.10.
>
> I used Mailing List Search trying to find what I thought I remembered
> being discussed within the last 12 months on the user list.  So far no
> luck, at least using the words I tried.  Specifically, I want to know
> how I can keep the Description field in a register window from
> expanding.  Or how can I set any and all column heading names to a
> width of my choice.
>
> I am still reading the tutorial and concepts guide, but have not
> finished yet.  If it is there, apologies for not finding it yet.
>
> I can definitely use your help, whoever knows what I need.

You cannot keep it from expanding.  The description column is set to
force it to auto-expand to fill the width of the window.  You can,
however, allow it to shrink by first expanding other columns off the
side of the window, causing a scrollbar to appear.  Then you will be
allowed to reduce the size of the description column back until there is
no scrollbar.

So basically: expand all your other columns to the sizes you want and
then you can reduce the description column to make it fill up the
window.