Is there a way to merge diverged books?

Dmitry V'yal akamaus at gmail.com
Fri May 21 06:03:38 EDT 2010

Hello list,

I have been using gnucash-2.2 to track my finances. I had a gnucash
directory on a remote server and mounted it using sshfs to my
workstations. Unfortunately somehow this procedure failed and I came up
with two different versions of database. One on server and another on
one of workstations. For about a month I wasn't aware of it and filled
both books with new transactions in parallel.

Now I'm looking the ways of recovering from this situation. Of course, I
can drop one of databases and manually reenter the transactions, but it
would be quite painful.

I didn't add any accounts since split, I only have been adding new
transactions. Given that gnucash stores it's database as gzipped xml, is
there a chance to merge the databases somehow? Is the format of the
database documented somewhere?

Best wishes,
Dmitry