Out of balance after QIF Import

Anthony Dardis adardis at gmail.com
Mon May 24 13:28:01 EDT 2010

I just migrated from Quicken 2009. (From Win XP to Mac OS X, the .dmg
version). Two things:

--before I migrated, I "cleaned up" Quicken by deleting closed bank
accounts, credit cards, etc., and then closed the books relative to a
sensible starting point (Jan 1 2008, fwiw). (I think, before you close the
books, you should make sure to reconcile every account you can, even if
there's nothing to reconcile them against--see next point:)

--nevertheless, the QIF export [remember: export EVERYTHING] retained a
bunch of transactions from a couple of those accounts, going back to the
beginning of time; these made my opening balances and ending balances no
good for my checking account, where most everything comes from and goes
to. I ended up just deleting all those transactions. (Think through what
the consequences will be; but in my case, it was just a matter of deleting
them.) I think they just happened to be a couple of accounts I never had
had reason to reconcile, and so Quicken kept them around (even through the
closing process) even though they were long since inactive.

Good luck!