Opening balance on reconcile window disagrees with account balance on any day

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 02:30:25 EDT 2010

The opening balance is calculated from your previously reconciled transactions. If it is off, it means you have (a) accidentally reconciled something, or (b) accidentally un-reconciled something.

If your ending balance is off, then (a) happened, and you need to figure out what was wrongly reconciled and un-reconcile it before restarting the reconcile process again. That can be a bummer. I've been known to create dummy transactions to straighten it out (on my personal books, that is--you probably shouldn't do that for a business' books ;) ).

If your ending balance is right, then (b) happened, and you should be able to carry out the reconcile process, notice the error, and complete the process.

HTH,
David