How to configure tax tables for GST

Glenn Ramsey gr at componic.co.nz
Fri Nov 5 17:24:43 EDT 2010

Hi,

I am planning to migrate from MYOB to Gnucash for my small business accounting
and would like some clarification on how to configure Gnucash to calculate New
Zealand GST.

The 3-account naming scheme in the FAQ [1] looks like it will suffice for my
needs. The FAQ says (I think) to set up a single tax table for GST, but is not
clear on which account to select for the GST tax table entry.

By experimenting I see that if there is only one tax table entry for GST then
the GST amount for both invoices and bills gets put in one account with GST
collected and GST paid appearing as a decrease or increase respectively.
Therefore, I assume that different tax table entries are required for income and
expenses as described in [2]. Is that correct?

Also in New Zealand we have the option of calculating GST using either an
invoice basis or a payments basis. The above setup seems to be relevant for an
invoice basis. If using the payments basis the GST amount should not go into the
Liabilities:GST account until the payment is made or recieved. MYOB does this (I
think) by posting the GST amount to Receivable and Payable and then transferring
it to the GST account when the payment is made. Is it possible to have such a
setup in Gnucash?

Thanks
Glenn