MS-Money user so GNUcash newbie and first post

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sun Nov 7 18:33:51 EST 2010

At Sun, 7 Nov 2010 08:57:52 -0800 (PST) "David T." <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]

Actually, the destination account is effectivey the 'Payee'.  GnuCash
is a double entry bookkeeping system.  Every transaction goes from one
account to another account.  Money always comes from somewhere and
always goes somepace.  Money never appears out-of-the-blue and never
vanishes in the wild blue yonder.  If you write a check to the power
company to pay for your electric bill money goes from Assets::Checking
to Expenses::Utilities::Power-Company, where 'Power-Company' is the
Payee of the check.  Whether you name the account 'National Grid'
(which is the name of electric company where I live) or 'Electricity'
does not really matter -- it is just a label.  Note that 'searching' by
Payee is somewhat moot -- one can just open up the
Expenses::Utilities::Power-Company account and see all transactions to
the power company, presumably each of your monthly electric bill
payments.  You can, if you prefer, name the account
'Expenses::Utilities::Electricity' and put 'National Grid' as the
description (where 'National Grid' would be the name of the electric
company). OTOH, putting in the power company's invoice number in the
description might be more useful.

> > > 2, I make extensive use of classifications to give an
> > extra dimension to
> > > reporting and tracking, two examples, to track
> > household decorating project
> > > to track all expenditure against that project
> > irrespective of the account
> > > (or category), or to track the total cost of a
> > holiday, a classification
> > > allows you to report on a quite disparate set of
> > transactions.

Actually, what *I* have done is create an account for the project. And
list what I bought (and possibly where I bought it) for the project in
the description.  In some cases the 'project' is ongoing (I have an
account for my recumbent tadepole trike and record things like buying
tires or replacement parts (eg shift cables or brake pads).

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller at deepsoft.com