MS-Money user so GNUcash newbie and first post

John Layman john.layman at laymanandlayman.com
Sun Nov 7 18:53:47 EST 2010

I  switched to GNUCash from Money Home & Business when Microsoft pulled the
plug.  The answers to your questions can all be found in the tutorial.  I
advise you to invest in reading it carefully.  (Your three questions can all
be answered  in the affirmative.)   GNUCash is a double-entry system, and
you have enormous flexibility where classification is concerned by rolling
your own chart of accounts.

I did not attempt to convert Money data other than investment-related
transactions.  These converted fairly easily, but the conversion must be
done account by account.  In the case of investment data, you need to think
through how to (for example) structure a brokerage account, the individual
investments and cash account.  Conversion does require both thought and
work.  I converted two or three times before I was satisfied with the
result.

I did not attempt to convert historic data other than investments.  I cannot
imagine having 11 years of data in a Money file, as I always found Money
became intolerably slow at around three-years worth of data.  I used Money
for many years, but always archived a year's worth of detail annually.  I
planned and prepared for cutover to GNUCash on January 1, then ran the two
in parallel for 7 or 8 months before cutting the cord to Money.  It made for
double work, but gave me a cross-check and margin of comfort.

Unfortunately, GNUCash  has no shortage of irksome quirks and buggy behavior
on Windows.  In particular, it suffers from display anomalies that cause
parts of the display to disappear, and phantom transaction lines to open up.
The user interface is, frankly, horrid as far as consistency and ease-of-use
are concerned (access to Customer and Vendor "tables" is a piece of work not
even a geek could love.)  But once you've learned your way around the
quirks, there is a great deal to like about GNUCash.  Through bitter
experience, I came to loathe Intuit long ago.  While I would love to have a
software product more polished than GNUCash, Quicken or Quickbooks ain't it.
I use GNUCash both for personal financial accounting and for the books of a
small business.  I'm hopeful that some of its weaknesses will be resolved in
future relases.