transaction already being edited in another register

wegelin jacobwegelin at fastmail.fm
Thu Nov 11 12:44:29 EST 2010

I installed gnucash today, exported several accounts from Quicken as QIF
files, exited Quicken, imported the QIF files into gnucash. Then, in
gnucash, in a credit card account that I had just imported, I attempted to
enter a new transaction. I was able to type in most of the info (in the
fields marked Data, Description, Transfer, Charge). At that point the cursor
was in the Charge field (I had just typed in the dollar amount) and the
Balance field showed 0.00 (although the balance immediately above was
nonzero). When I tried to complete the transaction by hitting Enter,
however, I got the following popup message: "This transaction is already
being edited in another register. Please finish editing it there first."

The same thing happened when I hit Tab.

As soon as I hit "close" on that popup, the entire transaction, which I had
just painstakingly entered, was deleted.

What is this about? I had no other accounts open in gnucash or anywhere else
for that matter. How do I simply enter a transaction?

Jacob Wegelin