transaction already being edited in another register

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 11 16:50:06 EST 2010

On 11/11/2010 2:16 PM, Bill Wright wrote:
> On 11/11/2010 12:44 PM, wegelin wrote:
>>
>> I installed gnucash today, exported several accounts from Quicken as QIF
>> files, exited Quicken, imported the QIF files into gnucash. Then, in
>> gnucash, in a credit card account that I had just imported, I
>> attempted to
>> enter a new transaction. I was able to type in most of the info (in the
>> fields marked Data, Description, Transfer, Charge). At that point the
>> cursor
>> was in the Charge field (I had just typed in the dollar amount) and the
>> Balance field showed 0.00 (although the balance immediately above was
>> nonzero). When I tried to complete the transaction by hitting Enter,
>> however, I got the following popup message: "This transaction is already
>> being edited in another register. Please finish editing it there first."
>>
>> The same thing happened when I hit Tab.
>>
>> As soon as I hit "close" on that popup, the entire transaction, which
>> I had
>> just painstakingly entered, was deleted.
>>
>> What is this about? I had no other accounts open in gnucash or
>> anywhere else
>> for that matter. How do I simply enter a transaction?
>>
>> Jacob Wegelin
> Will there be a update coming that will allow reading Quicken 2010 files?

Highly unlikely. Intuit doesn't even read their own file formats between
Mac and Windows (and sometimes between versions on the same platform).
Intuit's procedure for their own software is to export the data to an
intermediate file type and then import it to the new software. (And then
inspect the data manually to discover what didn't make it over in the
transfer.)

If Intuit can't even read their own files, I don't think the open source
community is going to be able to successfully reverse engineer the file
format.

Dave