Expense vs Liability

Dennis Powless claven123 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 01:44:02 EST 2010

I used to track medical bills in an account in quicken.  I would enter
an amount I owed and then enter transactions for the amount I spent
per month until it was paid off.  I would do this for the various
medical bills we had over the year.

I need to keep a total amount owed and amount paid.

When I imported to GC, this account was placed in an expense account.
However, this is only one sided (showing what I spent on that
expense). Should I be tracking this in a liability account?

I guess I'm just confused.  When someone in the family goes to the
doctor we get a charge/bill for an amount, say 100.00 USD.  I need to
enter this into GC some place.  What account would it go under?

Any ideas?