JGnucash Error: no open file

Perry Durham perry.durham at mentalforge.com
Tue Nov 23 08:29:38 EST 2010

Hi Folks,
I'm trying to use JGnucash to split a Gnucash data file.  After some
stumbling along on different OSes, I can now view the file (similar to
the layout at bottom of this note) on a Windows 7 machine.  I can also
view individual transactions within an account.  But I cannot figure out
how to actually split the data in the file.

After opening the target gnucash file and it loading into the viewer,
then I select Tools >> Split at date... This is where I get a dialogue
box popping up with: Please open a gnucash-file first! No open file.

I gave user=everyone full control of the file and the folder it is
contained in.  The original file has no extension.  So I tried giving it
.xac as well as .gml2.  Results were the same after my modifications and
have been repeating a few times.  Could someone please point out my
mistake/s?

Thanks
-Perry

JGnucash (window title)
file import tools help (menu bar)
LEFTPANE                                RIGHTPANE
folder                                       transcations (tab)    taxes
(tab)
     Root Account (folder)        date (column heading) transaction
description - - balance
         Assets (folder)
         Expenses (folder)
         Imbalance-USD