S-Corp Distributions and GNUCash

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Thu Nov 25 06:54:14 EST 2010

Tom Peterson wrote:

> I have an 'Expense:Shareholder Distribution' account so when I
> distribute retained earnings I have a transaction involving the bank
> account and the Expense:Shareholder Distribution account.

Best not to confuse him? An S Corporation is an incorporated partnership
(in effect)

As usual I will begin by reminding folks that I am not a certified
accountant and that this is really an accounting question, not a GnuCash
question (do you know how you would do this were you keeping the books
the old fashioned way pen and ink on paper?).

Drawing accounts are negative with regard to equity. Whether these
drawings represent a net reduction of entity equity depends on whether
the profits during the period (the retained earnings) are greater or
not. For regular corporations distributions are supposed to come from
profits (retained earnings) but partnerships are not restricted to that.
I can't advise to the legalities of the "S" form.

Michael