Save As MySQL is crashing gnucash

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Nov 26 10:39:56 EST 2010

On Nov 26, 2010, at 6:46 AM, Robert Heller wrote:

> At Fri, 26 Nov 2010 07:18:00 -0000 "Ian X Waddington" <iwaddox at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Thank you, the entries in the archives suggest that a save as in gnucash
>> changing the type to mysql would create a database of name gnucash with the
>> user id and password I had entered.
>>
>> Is this now not the case?
>
> You missunderstand the messages in the archves.  MySQL (like most/all
> RDBMs) needs to have users and databases *created* by a DB 'super user'
> before application client programs can login.

Not quite. Users must be created by a superuser, but can be delegated the create-db privilege, and gnucash will work best if the userid used to access mysql (or postgres) has that privilege. Also, MySql by default creates userids without passwords, but the database library that we use as a shim between gnucash and the database C interfaces doesn't like that, so be sure to create a password for your new userid.

Also, there's nothing magic about the database name. "Gnucash" is just a default name that Gnucash sticks in the dialog box for a new database. It's OK to use that if you intend to have only one set of books, but if you have more than one, you'll need to pick different names for each.

Regards,
John Ralls