renumbering sub-accounts

Eric Weisink eric.weisink at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 06:14:54 EST 2010

Hello list,

(using version 2.3.17)

I have the following problem using Gnucash: in my administration I keep
track of (church) members. I use (sub-acoounts for this:

account: members    4000
sub-account            AAA            4000-10
sub-account            CCC           4000-20
sub-account            DDD           4000-30

If I add a new member BBB, I use sub-account code 4000-15 to keep the
list alphabetically sorted. This is fine.  It gives the following list:

sub-account            AAA            4000-10
sub-account            BBB            4000-15
sub-account            CCC           4000-20
sub-account            DDD           4000-30

However, when I do a "renumber sub-accounts" (because for instance I run
out of free numbers) Gnucash ignores the old order and generates account
numbers in the same order as the accounts were created. The new list
becomes:

sub-account            AAA            4000-10
sub-account            BBB            4000-40
sub-account            CCC           4000-20
sub-account            DDD           4000-30

This is annoying when you generate a report as the alphabetical order is
now disturbed.

Is there a way in Gnucash to deal with this problem? It seems so basic
that I must have missed something obvious...

Thanks,
Eric