Year End processing question

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Sat Nov 27 13:07:39 EST 2010

Folks,

Does GnuCash allow for the inclusion of a closing date when the books are closed
at the end of the financial year?  I am using version 2.24 under Ubuntu.

I, like most others, will not have all of my closing entries available until
well after the end of the year. These transactions will of course need to post
with a date prior or equal to the closing date. When I was using a plain old
spread sheet it was not a problem since I could have multiple copies laying
around, however, this is not the case with GnuCash, at least to my knowledge.

Therefor there is a need to be able to continue to use the books after the
physical year ends. When I am ready to finally close the books for the year
ended then all data up to and including the year ending date should be processed
and the resulting difference used to update net worth and leave the expenses and
income for the accounting period at zero.

Please advise if there is a flaw in my thinking here. I am not an accountant,
however, I did take several accounting courses in college prior to the computer age.

Regards,
Jay
--

Jay Ridgley