help docs do not come with the software?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Nov 30 18:49:08 EST 2010

On Nov 30, 2010, at 3:29 PM, Jacob Wegelin wrote:

> http://code.gnucash.org/docs/help/Help-Window.html says:
>
> http://code.gnucash.org/docs/help/Help-Window.html says:
>
> BEGIN QUOTE
>
> 2.1. Accessing Help
>
> This window is accessed by going to the Help menu and selecting either
> the Tutorial and Concepts Guide or the Contents (F1). Section 4.2.1.9,
> “Help Menu”
>
> END QUOTE
>
> I presume this means that I can read up-to-date help documents directly
> from the software on my computer, even if I'm not connected to the
> internet.
>
> But when I go to the Help menu and select Tutorial and Concepts Guide a
> popup says: "Gnucash could not find the files for the help
> documentation. This is likely because the 'gnucash-docs' package is not
> installed."
>
> I installed GnuCash as follows. I downloaded Gnucash-Intel-2.2.9.5.dmg
> from somewhere. I opened this file on my intel-based MacBook Pro. Then I
> "dragged" (copied) the file called Gnucash.app to my Applications
> directory. Attached are some screen shots of all this.
>
> It's Gnucash 2.2.9, build r17949M on 2009-09-08.
>
> There's nothing else in the dmg file that looks like a help files (as
> can be seen in one of the screenshots).
>
> Are additional steps needed to get the Help docs? Are they not included
> with the software?

You obviously didn't read the "Readme OSX" file provided in the dmg, in the sourceforge downloads area, AND in the wiki (prominently linked in the download box on the gnucash main web page).

In 2.2.9, the help menu doesn't work. The documents are present in the app bundle, and the Readme OSX tells you how to open them in your browser.

The soon-to-be-released Gnucash 2.4 has a working help menu that opens the docs in your browser.

Regards,
John Ralls