Question on advanced portfolio and buying shares directly from income

FireFly fireflys_98 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 5 11:46:47 EDT 2010

> From: Andrew Sackville-West <andrew at swclan.homelinux.org>
> Subject: Re: Question on advanced portfolio and buying shares directly from income
> To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org
> Date: Friday, October 1, 2010, 7:59 AM
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 09:15:29PM
> -0700, FireFly wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > I just changed it around and had the money in coming
> into an asset
> > account, before it was then used to buy the hours
> stock and that
> > seemed to resolve the problem? So is buying shares
> directly from
> > income frowned upon?
>
> when I last hacked on that report, a couple of years ago,
> that was the
> case -- a suspense account was required. In some ways this
> makes sense
> as a lot of payroll purchases move through an intermediate
> brokerage
> account, but I guess not always. Anyway, the code is pretty
> dumb about
> it. So the short answer is yes, an intermediate account is
> needed to
> make that report work properly. This is surely a bug in the
> report.

Andrew,

Thanks for the response, that does help, and for my "fake" PTO Fund transactions I now have them going through a "cash" account and all is fine and good.

But I was reading and thinking, and entering transactions this morning and realized I do pretty much all my dividend transactions straight from Income too, I presume those will cause issues too? (The Advanced Portfolio always had some odd numbers on it, but I'd not worried about it to much since it was just for my tracking).

I'll try changing all the dividends over to the cash account (and adding a corresponding transaction to populate the cash account) and see if my odd numbers go away (it's mostly having realized gain from accounts I've never had money coming out of that always seemed odd).

- James Duerr

E-mail: FireFlys_98 at yahoo.com