Strange sorting

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Wed Oct 6 15:43:52 EDT 2010

In my bank-account register, most entries are blank in the "Num" column
(e.g. for standing orders / direct debits, direct credits, ATM
withdrawals). For cheques I record the cheque number (6 digits); for one-
off online transactions I often record the merchant's reference number
(could be anything); etc.

Looking for a particular cheque number just now, I sorted the register on
"Number".

As expected, entries with blank "Num" were first. However, the non-blank
ones were not in the expected order, even after allowing for numeric
filing after alphabetic. This makes finding the required entry something
of a hit-and-miss affair. (Yes, I know I can use "Find" instead).

Among the all-numeric ones, I got:
001800 to 001886 (in order), then
000192
000193