GNUCash makes Tech Republic!

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Oct 11 15:24:28 EDT 2010

At Mon, 11 Oct 2010 14:43:35 -0400 Mike Leone <turgon at mike-leone.com> wrote:

> A write up about how GNUCash *could* be a QuickBooks killer ...
>
> "Nope. As good as GnuCash is, it´s not what the business public wants.
> It should be, but it´s not."
>
> <http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=1887&tag=nl.e550>

If the SQL backend becomes fully viable, would that be a first step
towards "Multi-user capability" AND "Backend server"?  Assuming that
GNUCash could simply piggyback on the SQL backend's data access/locking
logic. I know that both PostgreSQL and MySql can have multiple
concurrent data accesses, so they presumably have some kind of
concurrent access management logic.

The "Better home screen" is just a matter of UI design.  Not exactly
rocket science, but...

The "Tax software integration" thing is bigger problem.  Esp. if
supporting multiple tax systems, not just USA.

Oh, I suspect that some relatively "minor" issues that seem to keep
cropping up: Invoice design, Check design, and Report design issues.
Maybe some of these will be covered in 2.4?

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933