Some questions (i.e. temporary entries)

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Oct 19 16:48:58 EDT 2010

>Agreed, but I have found that the entry date is really important to figuring out what you have done. Also, I'm not sure how to get all of the entries together in one list, irrespective of what account they are in.
>
>Paul

Perhaps you could explain? I used to design software and run large
financial systems and what ACTUAL (real time) date some file was
processed very rarely of interest. Didn't affect the "effective date" of
the transactions on that file and the "last changed" dates for auditing
purposes were "effective date".

For none of the organizations for which I keep books do I do the GnuCash
bookkeeping in "real time". I'm always entering the transactions only
when i have a large enough batch to bother and only when I have all the
information I need to enter them (emails "I can see that on date X you
used your credit card in store Y and the amount was Z but what was
purchased?" -- can't decide on which expense category till I know that).
Personally I find it easier and less error prone to batch them by
accounts affected so that I'm jumping around less.

PLEASE -- I am not saying that "entry date" might not be useful to you
but can't advise until I know HOW you would use it and for what.

Michael D Novack, FLMI