How to set up a shared account in GnuCash?

Peter Boosten peter at boosten.org
Sun Oct 24 08:02:43 EDT 2010

On 24 okt 2010, at 12:39, Jari Pääkkö wrote:

> However, now I should still somehow record my girlfriend's half of the expenses. How should I do this? One solution would be to create a new account representing my girlfriends expenses and put her half of the expenses there. Again, I'm not quite sure, if this is the right way to do this.

Either the account is part of your assets, or it's not.

If you just want to record your part of the shared account, then you should not record your girlfriends'. But then your records will not be the same as the banks'.

You could record your girlfriends' deposits as income, but you will also have to record her withdrawals as costs (probably create a separate account for that), or otherwise your assets are incorrect.

The question is: what's the use of a shared account, when all has to be registered separately?

--
Peter Boosten
http://www.boosten.org