software defect on mixed currency splits

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Sep 14 11:42:25 EDT 2010

Wouter van Marle <wouter at squirrel-systems.com> writes:

>> > As OP says, the problem is that this USD 10 amount should not be
>> > converted in the first place. There is the problem.
>>
>> Why not? It is a value. Either it is a cost associated with the txn, in
>> which case it should be attached as a split; or it isn't, in which case
>> it should be kept separate. As I said, what do you want the EUR
>> equivalent to show as?
>
> OP apparently wants the USD 10 to be registered as USD 10 in the other
> account.
> So effectively USD 714 on one side, and EUR 550 + USD 10 on the other
> side.

That's a perfectly legal transaction, and GnuCash *should* handle it.
Keep in mind, however, that there is yet one more (hidden) currency
involved!  That's the currency of the *transaction* itself.  So I have
to ask you:  in which account did you *create* this transaction, and
what's the currency of that account?

You may need to enter this transaction from an account of a different
currency in order to get it entered properly.  In particular, I think
you'll need to enter it from the (USD-denominated) CC Account.

>> One conversion rate per split, in my experience. (Of course I haven't
>> tried v2.3.*)
>
> I haven't been able to do it like OP suggested before. Tried it (in my
> case a T/T remittance where the charges were different currency than the
> remitted amount), didn't work.

There is, indeed, one conversion rate per Split..  But that conversion
rate it from the Split Account to the *TRANSACTION currency*.

Note that 2.4.x with "trading accounts" enabled should make this better,
hopefully.