[ANN] Interactive visualization of expenses with expensefs!

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Wed Sep 15 18:28:56 EDT 2010

]
>> It simply parses the XML with elementtree. It doesn't use GnuCash
>> python bindings.
>
> It’s very convenient to be able to just slurp in the whole file at once.
> Really makes you feel like you are in ultimate control of your own data. I
> frequently thank the GC devs mentally for their decision to go with XML
> :-)

XML is a great document interchange format.  It *SUCKS* as a database.

Seriously, having to read in the whole dataset is a BAD thing.  You should
only have to read the data you want to read.  Even worse, when you make a
change (or add additional data) you shouldn't have to write out the WHOLE
dataset!

Again, for interchange of static documents XML is PERFECT.  But not for
active databases.  I think GnuCash should absolutely maintain an XML
import/export, but I also believe it should use a SQL based solution
(SQLite) for its main data storage.