Present x Total columns

Luiz Carlos da Costa Junior lcjunior at ufrj.br
Fri Sep 17 11:23:58 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I am using gnucash-2.2.9 for 2 years and I have a doubt about the "Present"
column behavior in the Accounts tab.

The Total column shows the balance of each account (including the future
transactions) and the parent accounts also consider the sub-accounts
"summing up" everything "below".

On the other hand, the Present column does not consider the sub-accounts. Is
this behavior expected?

I was expecting to see the sum of sub-accounts in my parent accounts for
this column (for others too).
For example, I would like to see the total balance of all my Assets today
and compare it against the future balance (Total column).
Is it possible today?

Maybe the "Total (Period)" column is what I need, but where the "(Period)"
to be considered is specified?

Thanks in advance,
Luiz