QIF import of different currencies causes inconsistencies in XML file?

paolo at palmerini.org paolo at palmerini.org
Wed Sep 22 10:12:26 EDT 2010

dear gnucash users,
i am trying to import data from excel into gnucash using QIF as intermediate format. the problem i have is related to transactions between accounts defined with different currencies. it seems to me that gnucash somehow (mistakenly?) forces the default currency. here is what happens:i have a cash account in USD and several expenses accounts in EUR. the main currency is EUR. i have recorded several transactions involving the cash account in an excel file. the file is converted in QIF (using the xls2qif macro) and the QIF imported in gnucash. during the import, gnucash asks me which is the currency of the transactions being imported and i select USD. during the import process, gnucash accounts are correctly matched against categories in the QIF file. when I actually import the data, gnucash, despite the correct matching, creates a whole set of new expense accounts in USD (original ones are in EUR) since, i guess, i declared that the transactions are in USD but the gnucash accounts are in EUR.

so far so good. or, better, i think i understand what happens: QIF does not support mutiple currencies and everything is turned into what i said: USD. i check the cash account register in gnucash and all transactions are imported with the correct amounts in USD involving teh "new" accounts (in USD) created during the import.

now i open the gnucash file with a text editor and in the XML i find, for all transactions i imported, the tag <cmdty:id>EUR</cmdty:id> which i actually expected to be USD.

i am sure i am getting something wrong. can anybody help?

thanks in advancep.