save corrupted gnucash file

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Fri Sep 24 10:20:50 EDT 2010

On 2010年09月24日 21:51, Derek Atkins wrote:
> The invoice ID is 100% for human consumption; there is no meaning to
> GnuCash.  It's just a string.

If ID is 100% for human consumption, what is behind the logic of not
allowing human to edit it or allowing duplicate IDs to be in the first
place?

I would not be using ID in place of UUID for reference purpose myself if
I designed gnuCash in the first place (yes, stupid as you may see me is,
I also develop software), but I believe in the concept that a piece of
software is a tool, that it serves a purpose of solving a problem.
Avoiding human readable ID duplicate in invoice, even the unpaid
invoices, is a practical business need. And trying to solve a need a
software itself didn't full-fill by hacking it seems nature to me. You
argue I have done a wrong way to solve this need reads to me as if you
assume the need does not exist or should not exist. This sounds like
denying a need because of lack of good way to solve it, that is really a
software-development-centric thinking, opposite to the proven-successful
usage-oriented-design thinking in desktop application industry nowadays.

> most likely you created entries by hand, or you're doing something
> funky with some merges?

Since I use a keyboard-video-mouse computer as most others, all things I
do to it are by hand. I thus I assume by saying "by hand" you mean I
edited the XML source, which is a false assumption. They are there
without any previous edit to the XML source.

Socially speaking, really, reading your text I don't feel you want to
help me because you want to be helpful.

Best.