android phone and gnucash

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 24 16:25:30 EDT 2010

  On 9/24/2010 3:37 PM, dicegeorge at hotmail dot com wrote:
> Is there any way to input financial info into my android phone
> and then upload/export it to gnucash on my PC?

Any app that can export qif will work.

While it is only 'available soon for android', PocketMoney
http://www.catamount.com/ does a fine job at the one-way transfers you
mention. It also will sync between different instances of PM (including
desktop or multiple phones), but syncing both ways with gnucash is too
painful for my tastes. The one way transfer does mean you'll have to get
the file to your desktop and import it into gnucash. You won't get
automatic injection of data into gnucash.

I've been using PM since Palm Tungsten days (now using an iPhone). One
of the features I really like is you can set PM to only export
transactions entered since the last time you exported. That makes it
much easier to deal with irregularly-timed exports.

As for the 'available soon' state, Catamount has already converted two
of their smaller apps to Android. So they're serious about supporting
android. When they do release PM for android, at least you won't have to
wait for the stupendously absurd approval delays Apple hands out for
iPhone apps.

Dave