How to Classify Estate Distributions?

rsbrux at yahoo.com rsbrux at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 26 14:37:09 EDT 2010

.
Message: 3
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 15:55:51 -0400
From: Thomas Bullock <tbullock at nd.edu>
Subject: RE: How to Classify Estate Distributions
To: "gnucash-user at gnucash.org" <gnucash-user at gnucash.org>

Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 03:28:55 -0700 (PDT)

From: "rsbrux at yahoo.com" <rsbrux at yahoo.com>

Subject: How to Classify Estate Distributions?

To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org

Please excuse my posting this here.? It is really more a question about accounting rather than one about GnuCash, but I have searched the web diligently without finding an answer and hope that another GC user can give me a tip.

I am preparing the accounting for my mother's estate using GC 2.29 and can't figure out what to do with the distributions to beneficiaries.? The forms I have found online treat distributions as a top level account.? However, even if I do that (violating the oft-cited advice that one should create sub-accounts instead of adding to GC's default top level accounts) I still have to give the account a type.? There are 3 possibilities in the drop-down list which seem as though they might apply:

- Expense

- Liability

- Account Payable

but none seem quite right.

What has anyone confronted with a similar situation done?

TIA!

[<Tom:>]

[<Tom:>]

Message: 4