can't find last gnucash data file

Stephen Elliott stephen_h_elliott at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 30 12:13:53 EDT 2010

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

I am a fairly experienced user of a variety of accounting packages over the last two decades (and a former international banker with lots of IT experience), and thought I would try Gnucash for personal use, as well.

I put used Gnucash for the first time in mi-August and put in about a year's worth of bank and credit card data data, and had the chart of accounts set up pretty well.   Busy with other things, I then didn't do anything again until early this morning when I wanted to look up total loan payments to a specific individual.

In trying to restart where I left off, I seem to have either erased the old data's file name from the FILE pull down menu (I can't believe I haven't backed up the data somewhere last session, and repeatedly).  So I then created a dummy file and saved in just to see where the Apple Macbook defaulted to and what the file extensions were.

Now that I have found all the .lck, .log, and .xoc files, I can't seem to load them because Gnucash is defaulting today's dummy file instead.

How do I restore to where I was on August 20th?   I don't wan to have to reconsruct everything for obvious reasons, but am stymied.  I've looked in the Gnucash help manuals on www.gnucash.org website,  and found some help, but not enough.

Sincerely,
Stephen Elliott