Monthly Income/Expense Reports

Tony penury at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 17:24:29 EDT 2011

On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 10:36:50 -0400, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> What's wrong with the Income Statement and Balance Sheet reports that
> already exist within Gnucash (except for the fact that you can only run
> them on a per-day basis and not on a microsecond basis)?

Without reviewing the prior discussion, I think I recall this being about
comparative, side-by-side statements for some relevant period (mostly
likely, monthly).

Even if it wasn't though (and the reason I jumped in on this), is that I
think this kind of report (a side-by-side income statement) is one of the
biggest value-adds to an accounting process for a personal user.  It's
essentially the basis for any financial analysis one would like to do
(presumably in a spreadsheet, but by hand as well), and I'd find it
difficult to understand my own changing economic circumstances without this
sort of comparative analysis.

In my perfect world, such a report would include configurable end-of-period
balance sheet items in the same column as the income statement data, and
the whole thing would automatically drop into CSV or some suitable
spreadsheet format.

I recognize that there is limited appetite for report building in the
GnuCash developer group, so this is really just a comment.

Thanks, though, for a great application.