A quickfill problem and an enhancement suggestion

Paul Abrahams abrahams at acm.org
Tue Apr 5 19:22:37 EDT 2011

On Tuesday, April 05, 2011 06:45:02 PM David T. wrote:

> > Somehow my reply to the original comment stating that in
> > the case of
> > auto fill the backspace key only deletes the extra
> > characters but not
> > the last character typed was lost.  Paul, your
> > suggestion has already
> > been implemented.
>
> Actually, not quite. My experience is that, yes, a backspace does clear out
> the remaining Quickfill--but only until you start typing again. If your
> Quickfill term is "MY GLOBAL BANK TRANSACTION" and you type "My
> Gl<backspace>", the entry you typed appears. But the moment you start
> again with the "o", the Quickfill takes over again (and again, and again).
> This will continue until you have typed out "My Global Bank
> Transaction.<backspace>". So now, instead of saving you keystrokes, the
> Quickfill has forced the user to type the full entry out--and then two
> more keystrokes.
>
> What's the point of having Quickfill like this?

Just to clarify: does an initial backspace (or backspacing past the first
character) now disable Quickfill for the current transaction until the
transaction has been completed?  That's what I was suggesting.  And if so, in
what version does that appear?

To me, the most appealing aspect of this convention is that it utilizes a bit
of semantics that otherwise would have no meaning.

Paul