Export report to spreadsheet

Carpet Nailz carpetnailz at researchintegration.org
Wed Apr 13 09:53:50 EDT 2011

Am I missing something somewhere about how to export a report to a
spreadsheet? I'm trying to do my taxes but having the hardest time
getting data out of GnuCash into a spreadsheet where I can manipulate
it.

The best I've been able to come up with is to copy and paste the report,
but that doesn't seem to be working for me this morning. My problem is
getting the numbers, which come a links to some GnuCash file, to act as
numbers in the spreadsheet.

I thought that in the past I had been able to use paste-special in OO.o
Calc to have just the numbers pasted and not have them pasted as links
back to some GnuCash file. But now I can't get that to work.

I select the entire report, go to Calc, chose "Paste Special" and then
choose "unformatted text". I now need to indicate the "delimited," which
in the window looks like a little arrow. But I can't figure out how to
enter that into either the "Other" or "Text Delimiter" field.
--use autocorrect: I've got autocorrect set to change '->' to a little
arrow, but that doesn't work in the dialog box.
--right click in the "Text Delimiter" or "other" box and choose "Special
Character": but nothing happens when I do that.

So All I can do is paste the whole thing such that each row is all in
one cell.

Alternatively, I thought in the past I had been able to copy the
numbers, which are now in there as hyperlinks and use paste special to
get them as plain numbers. But that's now working now either.

I've even tried selecting each number in turn and choosing "Default
Format"--but that puts the numbers in as text (preceded by a single
quote), so I still can't do math with them.

What am I missing?

Thanks.