Export report to spreadsheet

Carpet Nailz carpetnailz at researchintegration.org
Wed Apr 13 19:13:36 EDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 08:51 -0700, John Ralls wrote:
> I don't know what report you're trying to copy, but I do the following
> with the Transaction Report:
> Highlight and copy the part of the report that I want.
> Do a regular paste into NeoOffice (OO with some Mac stuff wrapped
> around it). A dialog box comes up with import options. I select
> "space" as a delimiter in addition to tab; this splits asset type
> (e.g., stock symbol) into a separate column from amounts so that OO
> can recognize the numbers. It has the unfortunate side effect of
> breaking up description fields too, but they can be easily recombined
> after the import. Also select "recognize special numbers" then hit
> "OK". Dates come through as dates, numbers as numbers.

This is what I would think. But when I do this in OO.o Calc, the
delimiter that shows in the dialog box is an arrow. There seems to be no
way to enter that arrow into the "Text delimiter" box. When I right
click in the box, it shows a "Insert special character" option
(Ctrl-Shift-S), but nothing happens when I try that. Nor does anything
happen when I type in the code for the special character (U+2192) that I
get from the "Special Character" option in the general Calc Insert menu.
If the material showed up in the paste special dialog with some "normal"
delimiter I would be OK. But I can't get it to enter the arrow. (I've
got autocorrect set to change '->' to the arrow, but that doesn't work
in the dialog box either.

In the meantime I'll just have to fall back on exporting the stuff to
Windows (which I have to do anyway to use TurboTax) and manipulating it
in Excel, using its "Value" option under Paste Special.