Stock Price / Exchange Rates Used while Closing Book

Prasad Marla prasadmn at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 18:49:58 EDT 2011

Thanks David for the response - you made me realize I have not been clear
enough in my post ...

My income / expense transactions include two currencies - as I have worked
part of the year in another country. For closing the book, I have set up the
closing accounts as per example below
FY2011 Closing (CAD)
Income 2011 (CAD)
Expenses 2011 (CAD)
Gnucash did the the carry forward and posted to two currency accounts (AUD
and CAD) under the Income and Expense accounts. The roll up of these totals
is using the last maintained exchange rate - rather than the rate maintained
at 31/03/2011 - the closing date.

I think this has nothing to do with the the Close-Book operation in Gnucash
- but just the way the account balances are converted to the parent account
- guess this conversion will be always at the latest exchange rate.
I think the only solution is  zeroing out the non-home currency account and
carry forward account to the home currency account on the closing date -
thereby preventing the auto conversion.

Thanks for making me rethink the issue :-).

Regards
Prasad