WHY use anything other than an XML backend?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Apr 21 10:00:48 EDT 2011

On Apr 21, 2011, at 3:37 AM, Ian K wrote:

> I have been using GnuCash with a Sqlite datafile since January, and have been
> importing downloaded OFX statements from banks. Until reading this I had no
> idea there even was a risk of data loss. I have to say I haven't noticed any
> data loss with importing OFX files - is that something that is only possible
> and not inevitable?

Again, all of the *accounting* data is automatically saved correctly. If that wasn't true we would have disabled the feature.

What isn't saved automatically is the data that helps Gnucash remember which accounts are associated with transaction descriptions, so you may find that you need to (re)assign more transactions in the import dialog box. If you notice this problem, do a Save As and overwrite your database after doing an import; that will get the matching data into the database.

Regards,
John Ralls