"No suitable backend was found for file:.....

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Fri Apr 22 08:37:01 EDT 2011

On donderdag 21 april 2011, Brett Sutherland wrote:
> The current version is: GnuCash 2.4.5
> The previous version is unknown. However, the executable date is 10/5/2009
> and the readme is 2/23/2009
> The path for the files is the previous OS drive E:\Documents and
> Settings\Brett Sutherland\.gnucash\books
>
> Does that help? Thanks.

The path you give is indeed the books directory in the .gnucash directory.
This directory doesn't contain your data, only some cache data regarding which
tabs were open the last time you ran GnuCash.

If you didn't experience any problems with your older GnuCash installation
(after repeatedly having started GnuCash), we can safely assume you did
originally save your data file somewhere else on your hard drive.
Unfortunately, I can't determine that for you.

The most likely place to save your files would have been in the My Documents
directory on your old hard drive, which would be
E:\Documents and Settings\Brett Sutherland\My Documents

Otherwise, you can always use the Window's file manager's search function to
search for the name of your data file and see where it finds it for you.

Geert