Budgets and closing the books.

Colin Scott gnucash at double-bars.net
Tue Aug 2 16:07:00 EDT 2011

> I would put the equity transactions on the last day of the previous
> fiscal year, not the first day of the new one.

Unfortunately, and however much I try to avoid it, there ae still legitimate transactions occurring on the last day of the old year.  The only way I could work the way you suggest is to enter transactions with dates earlier than on the the supporting documentation, which is not considered acceptable (whereas transactions with dates *later* than the documentation are!).

The point is that the budget program assumes the month begins on the first, which is an unnecessary limitation.  Besides, in the UK the government's fiscal year ends on 5th April, and many businesses follow suit simply to make life easier, and there are many other cases where the financial year does not necessarily end at the end of a calendar month.  I such cases the usefulness of the gnucash budget system is screwed anyway.

Colin