Problem with Splits

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Wed Aug 3 17:48:08 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Wed, August 3, 2011 5:32 pm, RobCaldwell.net wrote:
> I thought I had GnuCash all figured out until I started making entries.
>
> I am not sure I understand what the $294.26 and $6.04 are. I did not enter
> those.
>
> Image

It would help if you expanded the "transfer" column so we could see the
full account named.  But my guess is that the "-USD" really says
"Imbalance-USD".  This split gets created automatically when the
transaction gets scrubbed.  This happens whenever it gets "committed",
which happens every time you hit "return".

The 294.26 was the Imbalance that got scrubbed.

The 6.04 is the outstanding amount that has yet to be scrubbed in.

In short:  your tranasction is not balanced.

> I am also entering the escrow as a debit to Liabilities:Mortgage:Bank
> United:Escrow. However when I indicate that a payment has been made for
> taxes out of the escrow fund, it adds to the debit column in the escrow
> account. So I have moved the escrow payments to the increase column to
> balance it out. Should I have done that?

Is this a payment into escrow or a payment out of escrow?  You will debit
escrow when you pay into your escrow account, and credit escrow when you
pay your taxes and insurance out of your escrow account.

> (The principal has actually gone up $25.42. That's why it is in the
> decrease
> column. When I look at my Liabilites:Mortgage:Bank United:Principal $25.42
> is now indicated as an increase.)

Then you might have the transaction backwards.  When you pay your mortgage
you credit your Bank (Asset), and debit the Liability (Loan) and Expense
(Interest) accounts.

> Thanks,
>
> Rob Caldwell

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745