Can't update preferences and can't get rid of Welcome dialog in Gnucash 2.4.7 (OS X 2.6.8)

prl prl at ozemail.com.au
Sun Aug 7 01:00:45 EDT 2011

On 3/08/11 23:54, John Ralls wrote:
> The interesting thing here is that there aren't any errors from GConf when you did use the launcher script. Did they show up in Console? I suppose ~/.gconf is still unpopulated.
I was sure I checked whether .gconf was populated after each change of
gconf/2/path and then running Gnucash. However, when I just looked at
it, I saw that it was populated on 3 Aug when I was last testing changes
in gconf/2/path. I've also found that links in /Volumes, where you
suggested I make a link to my home directory, are deleted on reboot.
That may have led to some of the confusion on my part, because I was
rebooting after changes to gconf/2/path, ironically because I thought
that it would be cleaner. Too clean, apparently.

I've since moved the link to '/' (ugly, I know, but it will do for now),
and ~/.gconf now gets populated, things like "last file opened" are
saved and used correctly, all in all it seems to work as it should and
the link stays put. Thanks for your help.
> What does "echo $HOME" print?
Cambyses:~ prl$ echo $HOME
/Volumes/Cambyses User/Users/prl
Cambyses:~ prl$
> What did you edit gconf/2/path to say?
I've tried the following in gconf/2/path:

xml:readwrite:$(HOME)/.gconf

     Original setting. Doesn't work with spaces in $HOME.

xml:readwrite:"$(HOME)/.gconf"

     After the style of the setting
     include "$(HOME)/.gconf.path"
     Doesn't work with spaces in $HOME.

xml:readwrite:"$(HOME)"/.gconf

     As suggested by you. Doesn't work with spaces in $HOME.

xml:readwrite:/Volumes/prl/.gconf

     After doing
     ln -s ~ /Volumes

     Works while link exists, but the link is deleted at boot time.

xml:readwrite:/prl/.gconf

     After doing
     ln -s ~ /

     Works, but is a bit ugly.

So, now I have a workaround. Thanks.

By the way, on the topic of spaces, I see that the
/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash shell script ends with:
$EXEC "$bundle_contents/MacOS/$name-bin" $EXTRA_ARGS $*

Shouldn't that be:
$EXEC "$bundle_contents/MacOS/$name-bin" $EXTRA_ARGS "$@"
so that spaces in any arguments given to Gnucash are passed to
Gnucash-bin without reinterpretation by the shell? This is important,
for example, if the FILE path for --add-price-quotes=FILE contains spaces.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Peter