Reports, probably again

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sun Aug 7 11:00:06 EDT 2011

James Wilde wrote:

>It has to be said: gnucash is a great product for inputting data, but the native reporting system sucks.  Html is _not_ the correct format for printed reports and the default font, Arial or Lucida, or whatever it is, is also wrong for business reports.

And?

Just because the reports are exported in HTML with Arial as the font
doesn't mean that's the way you have to print them.

For personal-informal reports I could see an argument for a more
finished form. But for business or organization reports? You would want
to take the data into your favorite editor where you would do things
like add the necessary footnotes, fixed text, etc. and that's when you
do the final formatting, selection of fonts, etc. Did you want/expect
the gnucash team to provide a full editor (instead of letting you choose
the editor). And what must the final format be? A report filed with some
governmental agency that requires PDF?  A fancy printed annual report
where you end with a compositor  application like latex?

For my organization I export to HTML but that isn't what I print.

Michael D Novack, FLMI