Can't update preferences and can't get rid of Welcome dialog in Gnucash 2.4.7 (OS X 2.6.8)

prl prl at ozemail.com.au
Mon Aug 8 02:16:30 EDT 2011

On 8/08/11 14:19, John Ralls wrote:
> GConf uses the g_log facility, so I guess the client will be
> outputting to gnucash.trace, but the daemon will be writing to its
> stdout. There's a comment in gconfd.c about shipping everything to
> syslog, but I don't see any code to make that happen.
If GCONF_DEBUG_OUTPUT isn't set, then it looks as though gconfd
redirects stdin, stdut and stderr to /dev/null, and syslog logging is
enabled for all the GCL_* logging priorities except GCL_DEBUG. If it's
set, std{in,out,err} aren't redirected, and all logging is enabled. I
just can't work out how to make the logging appear somewhere where I can
read it!
> The shell trick seems to work, but I can't really test it thoroughly
> right now since the markets are closed and prices aren't changing.
> I'll whack on it a bit tomorrow. As for the little-known regex
> argument to expr, I sure didn't know about it. Thanks! (BTW, according
> to expr(1), the leading ^ isn't necessary: it's implied anyway.)
> Regards, John Ralls
No problem. Using sed and needing to use backticks as well as double
quotes was never going to make life easy. I didn't notice in the man
page for expr that its regexp was left anchored. But it appears that
having the ^ left anchor symbol doesn't do any harm, either.

Regards,
Peter