Can't install perl quote modules

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 22:46:36 EDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 10:35 PM, Donald Allen <donaldcallen at gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
>> seeing:
>> >
>> >  CPAN.pm: Going to build E/EC/ECOCODE/Finance-Quote-1.17.tar.gz
>> >
>> > Warning: Prerequisite 'HTML::TreeBuilder => 0' for
>> > 'ECOCODE/Finance-Quote-1.17.tar.gz' failed when processing
>> > 'JFEARN/HTML-Tree-4.2.tar.gz' with 'make_test => NO'. Continuing, but
>> > chances to succeed are limited.
>> > Warning: Prerequisite 'Crypt::SSLeay => 0' for
>> > 'ECOCODE/Finance-Quote-1.17.tar.gz' failed when processing
>> > 'NANIS/Crypt-SSLeay-0.58.tar.gz' with 'make => NO'. Continuing, but
>> chances
>> > to succeed are limited.
>> > Warning: Prerequisite 'HTTP::Request::Common => 0' for
>> > 'ECOCODE/Finance-Quote-1.17.tar.gz' failed when processing
>> > 'GAAS/HTTP-Message-6.02.tar.gz' with 'make => NO'. Continuing, but
>> chances
>> > to succeed are limited.
>> > Warning: Prerequisite 'LWP::UserAgent => 0' for
>> > 'ECOCODE/Finance-Quote-1.17.tar.gz' failed when processing
>> > 'GAAS/libwww-perl-6.02.tar.gz' with 'make => NO'. Continuing, but
>> chances to
>> > succeed are limited.
>> > Warning: Prerequisite 'HTML::TableExtract => 0' for
>> > 'ECOCODE/Finance-Quote-1.17.tar.gz' failed when processing
>> > 'MSISK/HTML-TableExtract-2.10.tar.gz' with 'make => NO'. Continuing, but
>> > chances to succeed are limited.
>> > Can't exec "./make": No such file or directory at
>> > /usr/lib64/perl5/5.12.3/CPAN/Distribution.pm line 2026.
>> >  ECOCODE/Finance-Quote-1.17.tar.gz
>> >  ./make -- NOT OK
>> > Running make test
>> >  Can't test without successful make
>> > Running make install
>> >  Make had returned bad status, install seems impossible
>> > root at sergei:/usr/bin$
>> >
>> > This was the end of an attempt to run qnc-fq-update. There were a fair
>> > number of complaints prior to this about make failures. I assure you
>> that
>> > make is installed and works fine (I don't know perl -- perhaps that's
>> not
>> > the system make it's complaining about, but maybe some perl thing also
>> named
>> > make? I'm guessing here, obviously.). Any ideas?
>>
>> Try
>> $ cpan -i Finance::Quote
>>
>> You might have to do it under sudo.
>> If that doesn't work, something's borked with your system and you'll have
>> to ask Slackware for help.
>>

> Thanks for trying -- doesn't work. Same problem; complaints about make:
>

> "Running make install
>   Make had returned bad status, install seems impossible"
>
> I'm seeing the same symptom on multiple systems, so either it's inherent in
> this release of Slackware, or I've fat-fingered each of the systems the same
> way. I'm going to back out the 2.4.7 package I installed and install the
> vanilla 2.4.5 package supplied by slackbuilds.org (recall that I did
> something  a touch non-standard to get 2.4.7) and see if that fixes it. I'll

That doesn't work either. Bizarre. And I checked to be sure root's PATH
picks up the make you would expect, and it does:

root at sergei:/usr/bin$ which make
/usr/bin/make
root at sergei:/usr/bin$ make -v
GNU Make 3.82
Built for x86_64-slackware-linux-gnu
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

root at sergei:/usr/bin$ gmake -v
GNU Make 3.82
Built for x86_64-slackware-linux-gnu
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

root at sergei:/usr/bin$

I'll check with the Slackware people. Thanks for trying to help.

/Don