How to "close" an savings account?

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 9 18:34:16 EDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU>
To: David T. <sunfish62 at yahoo.com>
Cc: Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com>; "gnucash-user at gnucash.org" <gnucash-user at gnucash.org>; Henrik <henrik.soke at gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 9, 2011 12:22 PM
Subject: Re: How to "close" an savings account?

"David T." <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> writes:

> Colin--
>
> I reported this as a bug (#397135) back in 2007, along with the workaround. I have come to see it as a "Quirk" rather than a bug.

It is arguable whether it is a bug or feature that you can hide an
account from the CoA but leave it in the autofill/popup menu.  It's also
arguable whether it's a bug or feature that hiding from the
autofill/popup is tied to making the account read-only.

*shrugs*

I agree, the point can be argued.

Frankly, though, I wonder at what the use cases would be for having it the way it is. I'll be the first to note that I am not an accountant, but it's not clear to me what uses a Hidden account might serve, other than to close it.

Perhaps one could have an account that is dormant, and you don't want to see it daily in your CoA.

But presumably, if you don't want to see it, you probably don't want to put transactions into it, either. It seems to me that this is a Really Good Way to trip up people with fat fingers, as they try and figure out where the money went.

David

> David

       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
      warlord at MIT.EDU                        PGP key available