How to "close" an savings account?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Wed Aug 10 11:21:31 EDT 2011

Hi,

> Oops!  I just noticed that existing transactions remain in an account
> when the 'Hidden' check-box is selected.  I would like to suggest
> changing he name of this box to 'Locked" to suggest that existing
> transactions remain as 'read-only'  I believe this check-box is intended
> for accounts that are no longer used.

Yes, transaction remain in the account regardless of the Hidden OR
placeholder values.  Those checkmarks do not affect past history.

Hidden is not Read-Only, nor should it MEAN read-only.

Note that there is another option which is "Hide zero value accounts".

> Now I must ask the question:  Are transactions in 'Hidden' accounts
> included in reports?  I would assert that they should be included for
> accounts that are simply no longer used for new transactions, but some
> would assert that 'Hidden' would suggest that the account is 'Hidden'
> from reports as well.  To those people I would point out that they can
> usually edit the list of included accounts for that report.

Yes, transactions in hidden accounts should be included in reports.

> David Carlson

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745