am having trouble with newer version of gnucash

Wendy Jalbert jalbert.wendy at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 10 22:15:25 EDT 2011

I have been keeping the records for our very small church on gnucash for the last couple of years.  I have gnucash 2.2.9 on my laptop with Vista.  I keep all the accounts on a stick drive.  I want to do my accounts from a newer computer with Windows 7 (because it's a lot faster).  I downloaded gnucash 2.4.7.  I have run into two problems which may be related to each other.

My main issue is that I cannot get or print reports the way I would like.  All reports go by my current accounting year (calendar year 2011) but I often need the information to cover only up to a certain date (ie end June) or only one month (ieJuly).  I can do this on the old version by right clicking and selecting different options.  This does not work on the new version.  It doesn't even work to go through the menu bar and change parameters.  I find this extremely frustrating.  There is nothing in the reports section of the manual to address this.

The other problem (possibly related) is that I have not downloaded the accounts into the new version because I have all my personal, my business and my husband's business accounts on Quicken and am afraid they will be downloaded by mistake.  I don't want to combine these records with the Church records.  SO when i open the new version of gnucash I have to open the main account on the stick drive (it doesn't find it by itself as the old version does) in order to enter data. This data is then recognized by both versions.

So why don't I just use the laptop?  I want to download gnucash on the church computer and do all the accounting there but i am afraid I will run into the same problem I have here.  Also, my laptop is erratic in operation so I can't always rely on it.

I would love it if you could fix the reports to operate as in the old version.

Thanks,
Wendy Jalbert
Church Treasurer
British Columbia, Canada