Start with the Past and Work to the present

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Aug 15 11:41:07 EDT 2011

"Patricia J. Hawkins" <phawkins at connact.com> writes:

> P> This will be over a 7 year period. There are no more than 250 transactions.
> P> One of the reasons I want to do this is so I can understand what I  have
> P> been doing better and print out records.
>
> P> What do you do to separate the years. Perhaps each year has a new GnuCash
> P> file.
>
> No need.  Just enter the transaction dates correctly, with the correct
> year, of course, and Gnucash will track that for you.

Indeed.  250 transactions are not a lot of transactions.  GnuCash can
handle that quite easily, so just enter them into a single data file.

My only caution is that you cannot reconcile your accounts until all
your history is in place.  Reconciliation is always from "the start of
time" through the reconcile date.  So once you reconcile it's much
harder to add historic data.