Quicken Files

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 15 19:02:43 EDT 2011

On 8/15/2011 5:23 PM, David T. wrote:
> Guy--
>
> I can't guarantee your results, but when *I* was in your position a few years back, I went into Quicken and asked it to export everything (transactions, accounts, and categories) to a QIF file, which I then imported into Gnucash. Gnucash was able to convert the QIF file, correctly getting categories into accounts, and I was mostly good to go. I did have to do some tweaking to the data, not to mention my mindset, to get things working.
>
> Once you have gotten your data into Gnucash, I recommend reading through the Gnucash documentation (especially the Tutorial and Concepts Guide) to familiarize yourself with some of the fundamental differences between Gnucash and Quicken.
>
> Good luck!
> David

Before you jump into the water, read the GnuCash instructions in the
manual about importing and be ready to make a lot of individual
transaction corrections.  Use Quicken to export from a copy (not your
original) of your quicken files and export the oldest month only first.
Create a test GnuCash data file and import just that month.  This test
will give you a feel for how smoothly (or not) the import task will go.

In my case I had so much data that I decided to only import the last two
years into my real GnuCash data file.

Good luck.

David Carlson