outstanding accounts receivables?

Shane Litherland litherland-farm at bigpond.com
Wed Aug 17 21:46:24 EDT 2011

> I think it's impossible to delete invoices in GnuCash.
>
> Someone please correct me if I'm wrong because I have about 20 bogus
> invoices I'd LOVE to get ride of ;-)
>
> - Axel
>
> On Aug 7, 2011, at 23:32, Anthony Nelson wrote:
>
> > Hi Axel,
> >
> > That is a great tip.  It works perfectly.   Even so, in the
> interests of better usability I wonder whether a there should be a
> standard report?  Quickbooks does have this, and it seems like it
> would be something that could be easily implemented in GnuCash.
> >
> > On a related topic, when I follow your steps I find a five invoices
> numbers (000001, 000002, 000003, 000005, 000006) that are dated back
> in 2008 (when I first started using GnuCash).  These invoices are not
> posted and are for a zero dollar amount.  I'd like to delete them so
> that they do not show up on the invoice report you showed me how to
> run.  But when I search for one of them, select it, and click on the
> delete button nothing happens.  It is like they are a zombie of some
> sort.  Is this a known problem?  Is there a way to remove these from
> the system?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> > Tony

Hi folks, belatedly again - I recall when I started with Gnucash, having
some 'learner' invoices in the system that I didn't want. **If I recall
correctly**, I went into the xml file (after saving it un-compressed)
and manually deleted the entries that related to such invoices. I think
I'd read around on the web and got some tips to that effect. I probably
also had to delete the postings to/from A/R etc (either in the .xml or
maybe just from running gnucash after deleting the invoice - can't
recall for sure). Of course, playing with the file could muck things up,
which for me as a beginner meant having some backups and if things
didn't work I wasn't losing years of info anyway. But something musta
worked for me, because i'm still using gnucash :-)
I think, at that time, I also had to tweak 'counters' for bills or
invoices, but in gnucash 6.4.x, I see there is a GUI to tweak some of
these values from 'preferences' or the like, rather than having to delve
into the .xml file.

Take my words with *caution* if you are going to mess with your .xml
file!!
Especially as the more recent version/s of gnucash seem to rely more on
the guid's to interconnect stuff... deleting only half of your problem
invoice might end up doubling your headaches!

If simply hiding or making the invoices inactive gets them out of your
hair enough, then that could be the safer way to go...

Regards,
Shane.