libdbi for postgresql

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Wed Aug 24 17:12:07 EDT 2011

On Wed, August 24, 2011 4:30 pm, James Wilde wrote:
> Thanks for your reply, Bunk3m.  Rest inline.
>
> On Aug 24, 2011, at 13:13 , bunk3m wrote:
>
>> James, over the long run sqlite3 will be easier to use than postgres.
>
> That's interesting.  I'm not a db man, but I've heard of postgres, mysql,
> oracle, but I'd never heard of sqlite3 until I started looking into
> Gnucash.  I quickly found a guide to using postgres with Gnucash, but
> I've not stumbled over any guides to using sqlite3.  Maybe you have a
> url or two?

www.sqlite.org?

Honestly, there's nothing you need to do for SQLite.  It's a SQL backend
that, from the user point of view, acts sorta like a file.  It's a
single-file solution, but you get the benfits of SQL without having to run
an RDBMS.

>> I think using postgres is a bit of overkill (like storing Quicken data
>> in Oracle, perhaps).
>
> For a non-db man, I agree.  Using any sql database is overkill.  It's
> just that, whilst Gnucash is the best accounting app in the world for
> getting data in, I think even learning postgres will prove easier than
> trying to get decent reports from the non-db (i.e. xml) backend.
> Although now I've got reports in my locale format, the xml backend
> might be less of a pain.
>>
>> But if you want to run postgres, you can find the installer packages at:
>> http://www.postgresql.org/download/macosx
>> I'm not sure if libdbi is included.  You can probably find out by
>> reading the package list.
>
> Thanks for the tip.  I looked now, and found them under the postgres
> directory ALONG WITH A DOCUMENT ENTITLED "Gnucash 2-4-7 OSX Readme"!  I'm
> going to have a look at that as soon as I've finished this email.
>>
>> You can also install the libdbi if you use Fink or Macports.  But then
>> you have to install one of those two environments.
>
> That's what I wanted to avoid.  Once upon a time my first move when
> installing a new Solaris or linux machine was to install a development
> environment, with gcc and all the goodies.  I haven't needed this on my
> Mac, and I was hoping I wouldn't need it now.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> PS sqlite3 is installed on the Mac by default and updated by the OS so
>> it is easier to manage and use.  You can access the database manually
>> using a jdbc driver and using some SQL front end like DbVisualizer.
>
> Not apparently on my Mac Mini running Lion.  I did a search of the
> entire hard disk for sqlite3, earlier today, and the only thing it found
> was a couple of files in a download I made from (I think) source forge
> yesterday.

Try a search for '*sqlite*'

-derek

> Regards,
>
> //James
>

>> On 23.08.2011 17:03 , James Wilde wrote:
>>> I'm running on a Mac with 2.4.7, the first complete version for Lion.
>>>
>>> I'm trying to test using the database backend, and have found a good
>>> guide using postgresql, which I know (of), as opposed to sqlite3, which
>>> I've never heard of.  But I'm disappointed to find that there is no
>>> compiled libdbi available for postgresql any more.  Compiling myself
>>> would require me, as a first step, to install a mass of stuff which I
>>> don't normally need any more.
>>>
>>> I'm wondering if there is a kind soul out there amongst Mac users who
>>> has compiled the postgresql libdbi and would be willing to let me have
>>> a copy so that I can continue to test the db backend.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> //James

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745